Over the past few months I’ve learned a lot about blogging (including just how much I still have to learn about blogging). The things that I have learned have led me to make some major (and, I think, very exciting!) changes to this site:
- I’ve renamed this blog. ‘Occupation: Writer’ is now ‘Carrie Mumford – Reading, Writing & Researching)’. RIP Occupation: Writer.
- I’ve come out from behind my cloak of invisibility and revealed my true identity (Hello world!).
- I’ve switched to a new, fancier WordPress theme (Fresh News 1.0.3).
- And I’ve decided to extend the focus of this blog. To-date, most of the posts I have written have been about learning how to write. Although I’ll continue to write about writing, I’ll write about other topics too, such as books, research and social media.
Before I made these changes I spent a lot of time thinking about why I’m blogging and even more time researching the art of blogging. Here are three resources that I found particularly helpful as a writer who blogs:
- 15 Must-read Blogs for Blog Writers from Freelance Switch
- Blogging Tips: What I Know Now from Nina Badzin’s blog
- Why Write About Writing Anyway? from Yingle Yangle (fantastic blog that was recommend to me on Twitter by Nina Badzin – thanks Nina!)
- Sacred Cow Tipping: Why Writers Writing About Writing is Bad by Kristen Lamb
I’m still working on customizing the new theme so you may notice a few more changes over the next few weeks. If you have any comments about the new look, the change in title, or just about anything else I’d love to hear from you.
Thank you so much for reading!
Have you ever made (or considered) a major overhaul of your blog? Do you blog using your real name, or anonymously?