My name is Carrie Mumford. I’m a writer, marketer and editor.
I have a passion for words–whether it’s getting them on the page to communicate effectively, or editing them until they shine. And conveniently, I also love websites and the internet in general. My love of words and the web have lead me to a career in marketing and freelance writing and editing. I work with small businesses, entrepreneurs and writers looking for clear, concise copy and marketing plans that work.
Whether it’s your website, blog, marketing strategy or social media accounts, my mission is to make sure you have an online presence you’re proud of, and one that gets results.
Over the past 14+ years I have worked as a market researcher, content manager, freelance writer and editor, online marketer and people manager. I have a BA in English Literature and a Master’s in Information Studies (the degree formerly known as a Master’s of Library and Information Studies). Following the completion of my MIS, I enrolled in Ryerson University’s Publishing Program, where I took classes related to editing and the publishing industry.
I also write fiction, and teach courses about blogging, websites and writing.
I started this blog in 2011 as a way to share what I was learning about writing and blogging and to meet other writers. Over the years its morphed along with my writing career and intersts; expanding and shrinking depending on where my attentions lie. Now I post about once a month, focusing on everything from what makes a great website to the many phases I’ve gone through while writing my latest novel. With my novel now complete, I’m busy pitching agents and publishers. If you’re curious, it’s mature YA about a girl trying to uncover the truth about her mother’s tragic death while navigating her way into adulthood.
Random Facts About Me:
- I’ve been practicing yoga for 11+ years, and am a certified yoga teacher (RYS 200)
- I’ve lived on each coast of Canada, and many places in between.
- I have a Master’s in Library & Information Studies but have never worked a day in a library (but I do love a good database/organizational system/process).
- Some of my favourite things to do are: read, camp, run, practice yoga, and eat desserts of all kinds.
- I’m known among family & friends for bad dance moves, early bedtimes, and my love of (and uncanny ability to find) animals of all kinds. Except snakes, which are tehcnically reptiles. Snakes: I am sure you are nice but you’re just not for me.
I am a member of, or support the associations below.
Official Sounding Writing Bio:
Carrie Mumford is a writer, marketer and editor living in Calgary, Alberta. Her short fiction has appeared in Full of Crow Fiction, the Bella Online Literary Review, Vine Leaves Literary Journal, the WCDR’s Whispered Words anthology and other fine journals. Her vignette, “The Blemish Collector”, was nominated for the Pushcart Prize in 2012. In 2013, her short story “Ashes to Ashes” was short-listed for the Room Magazine contest. She is currently writing a novel about a young woman’s quest to uncover the truth about her mother’s tragic death while navigating her way into adulthood.