I got my start in writing through short fiction, and I still love the form. To-date I’ve published several short and flash fiction stories (most of which are available to read for free online!) and one chapbook collection of short fiction.
- “Paris in a Bottle,” published in the Bella Online Literary Review (2012).
- “Little Bean,” included in An Anthology of Outstanding Prose from the WDCR Competition, Writers’ Community of Durham Region Whispered Words Contest (2011).
- “Knit, Purl, Breathe,” published in Fiction365 (2012).
- “Tiki Bar,” published in Full of Crow Fiction (2012).
- “Two Dressers,” published in Vine Leaves Literary Journal – Issue #8, October 2013. Included in the annual Best of Vine Leaves 2013 print Anthology.
- “The Blemish Collector,” published in Vine Leaves Literary Journal – Issue #2, April 2012. Included in the annual Vine Leaves 2012 print Anthology. Update: Voice actor Elijah Lucian recorded an audio version of this story. You can listen to it (and his other awesome flash fiction compilations) here!
- “Here’s The Thing About Epilepsy,” published on Medium, March 9, 2017.
- “Ashes to Ashes,” runner-up for a short story entered in the Room Magazine 2013 Contest (prose).
- “Tastes Like Chicken,” highly Commended in the Writers’ Village short story award (2012).
- “The Blemish Collector,” nominated for the Pushcart Prize (2012).
Magpie: Stories by Carrie Mumford
The chapbook, titled Magpie, includes 10 flash fiction pieces, 3 of which have not been published elsewhere.
You can get a copy here for $5 USD.
From the publisher:
“There are a lot of things in life that are hard. Creating yourself anew through a stale marriage. Managing your regret in the face of great trauma. Struggling with your life choices in the presence of a nun. Let Carrie Mumford walk you through these situations, crafting stories and lives that feel as dear and personal as family.”